The Library was established parallel with the foundation of the University of Dodoma in March 2007. At the start of the 2007/2008 academic year, the Library served around 1200 users. Currently, it serves over 30,000 users. The University is designed to have 40,000 students when it becomes fully operational that means an equal number of library users or more.
The library users can access materials from all seven collections namely:
- Education collection which is located in the College of Education (CoED);
- Humanities and Social Sciences collections, located in the College of Humanities and Social Sciences (CHSS);
- The Library collections for Informatics and Virtual Education can be accessed in the Library building of the College of Informatics and Virtual Education (CIVE);
- The Health Sciences collections are located in the Library, College of Health Sciences;
- The Collections for Earth Sciences are also temporarily located in the Library, College of Informatics and Virtual Education (COES);
- Materials on Business Studies and Law can be accessed in the Library building of the College of Business Studies and Law (CBSL);
- Lastly, collections for Mathematics and Natural Sciences can be accessed in the Library, College of Natural Sciences and Mathematics (CNMS).
The Library has established electronic Library Management System (e-LMS). The system includes Library activities and services such as: Acquisitions, Cataloguing, Circulations and Institutional Repository.